A Bombastic Christmas Musical (Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey)


 

Yes... I have written yet another review because clearly I have nothing else to do when I actually have so much to do. It is always good to write, especially for me. Therapeutic writing aside, I am here to give you guys my review of yet another Netflix feature (Jeez, they have been releasing a lot of stuff lately), Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey. This came out on the weekend that just passed, but it's okay. I'm not freaking that I am missing out on premiere dates. 

Anyways, Jingle Jangle is not only magical family Christmas movie, but it's also... takes in a deep breath... a MUSICAL. *gasps*. Yes, you guys. I know many of you ain't fans of musicals but I am going to write my review nonetheless. 

Jingle Jangle is about this inventor named Jeronicus Jangle (I know, right?) who is quite famous in his town until one day, one of his trusted employees, who always feels small at the presence of the inventor, ends up stealing Jeronicus' designs and uses them to become a famous inventor himself. Years later, Jeronicus is now old and has less belief in life, has to take care of his granddaughter for the days leading up to Christmas. He learns that she apparently is an inventor like him and well... yeah stuff happens from there. 

Jingle Jangle, is full of heart and definitely feels like a Christmas movie but unfortunately falls flat in certain moments. The songs are great, no doubt especially since one of the four songwriters for this movie is John Legend but there are times where the film either feels good, too much or a tiny bit draggy. 

The first 20 minutes was interesting and then you slowly forget that this movie is a musical for a while only to be reminded that a song comes on. Towards the last 20 minutes, you're wondering "The movie is not over yet?" but by the last scene you're concluding "This actually is a good movie." Do you see my issue here? For me, I am not even sure I like it. Yes, there were cringey moments but... don't all musicals make you cringe at some point? (except La La Land and Les Miserables) 

I feel that Jingle Jangle was trying to find itself during the movie and that was sort of a turning point for me towards feeling super confused as to what this movie was trying to be. But honestly, the musical numbers were good but was somewhat trying really hard to seem like the numbers from The Greatest Showman. 

The acting performances were great especially by newcomer Madalen Mills who plays Journey with her undeniable talent. Forest Whitaker is honestly the star of this film since I have never heard him sing and his song "Over and Over" shows off not only his acting ability to be vulnerable but also through the wonder of song. 

Then again, still a great musical family movie to watch during this holiday season and I bet kids might like it for it's wondrous themes. I also totally forgot to mention that the visuals for this movie was so good. The part annoyed me was more how the movie was filmed in such a small set, I felt like there was barely any room to move to walk in that fictional town, let alone dance. But yeah.. maybe kids will have a different perspective since well... they're kids. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Overlooked, Fun Marvel Adventure (The Marvels spoiler-free review)

Loki season 2 (Full season review)

Percy Jackson and The Olympians (Full Season Review)