Netflix's First Action Franchise - Probably (The Old Guard)



Yet again, late to the party but I managed to enjoy this movie as much as the next person. From the poster above, you can see that I am talking about Netflix's latest action blockbuster, The Old Guard. Starring Charlize Theron, directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood. 

Before I start rambling about how good this movie is, I found out - right after watching the movie - that The Old Guard is based on a comic book series with the same name created by Greg Rucka which further proves that movies based on comic books are the best pitch sales for scripts these days. Better yet, having a gay couple as the main cast shows how far the movie industry has come to showing that diversity and inclusiveness is better than ever with this movie. 

Now, where was I? Right. I was about to tell you how good this movie was. Netflix has made many movies over the years, including action movies. Not many of them have been compelling but lately they have been with the likes of  6 Underground starring Ryan Reynolds and Extraction starring Chris Hemsworth. (I'm sure there are more, so don't kill me if I don't mention them). In this case, The Old Guard was as compelling and left me wanting more. 

The plot is about a team soldiers led by Theron's character, Andy, who are immortal. They have lived for hundreds of years and apparently, some people found out and they are after them. I shall not tell you the rest of the plot because then, I would spoiling you. We don't want that now, do we? So, if I have managed to get you invested to watch how the film plays out.... You're welcome. I do not think you would regret it one bit.

Charlize Theron, as usual, was awesome. After playing many roles where she has to be badass, it is kinda written in her DNA now. I was super surprised when a certain actor who turned out to be main villain (of this film) was very familar. Potterheads who watch this movie will understand what I'm talking about. And Chiwetel Ejiofor is of course, the wild card of the film, like every other role - that I remember - he has done. The highlights for me were Marwan Kenzari (Aladdin) and Luca Marinelli who play Joe and Nicky respectively. They are one of the best on-screen-chemistry-between-characters I have ever seen. 

To end, I would say that The Old Guard is a good old violent action movie with a twist of sci-fi/fantasy. I don't know if you have noticed that I haven't been rating movies lately. I figured maybe I should stop doing that. I think my opinions of movies stand clearly. Adding that with rating numbers, maybe it's not the best thing when reviewing. So, now you know. 

Anyways, watch The Old Guard, streaming now on Netflix. If you don't have Netflix... well, you know what to do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Overlooked, Fun Marvel Adventure (The Marvels spoiler-free review)

Loki season 2 (Full season review)

Percy Jackson and The Olympians (Full Season Review)