When Monster Apocalypse meets Coming-of- Age Drama (Love and Monsters)

 


Honestly, looking at the poster of this movie along with its unappealing title may give you a feeling that it might seem dumb or not worth watching because that's what I thought too until I saw the trailer for it a few weeks ago. I had totally forgotten it's release date until I saw it released in the list of new movies that came out this weekend. I was mostly excited that Dylan O'Brien was going to be in it but the movie way beyond the awesome Dylan O'Brien acting in it, you have no idea how good it actually is. 

Love and Monsters takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where amphibians, reptiles, insects have been mutated, enlarged and took over the Earth leaving the human race to slowly and eventually get extinct. The film is solely focused on Joel Dawson's point of view, a sixteen year old teenager who is lives in a colony that resides in one of the many bunkers that inhabit the remaining humans that are alive. In this particular bunker, everyone has a significant other except poor Joel. He does have a girlfriend but he hasn't seen her in over 7 years and has only talked to her through the radio. To finally see her, Joel goes on an adventure on the surface to finally see his girlfriend again over at her colony/bunker. That is pretty much all what the movie is. 

Long story short, he meets a dog, he learns about the monsters, learns how to fight them and WHOOPEE!! That is pretty much it. There maybe more but you would have to watch find out the rest of this possibly underrated gem of a film. 

Love and Monsters would have been the sleeper hit of the year if it had been playing in theatres as it was originally intended but was released on demand instead due to the current state of the world. I would have loved watching this film in theatres with my sister to be specific, since we both have loved Dylan since his Teen Wolf and Maze Runner days. Now that I think about it, I don't think I have ever seen a movie where Dylan hasn't had any dirt on his face or being chased by someone or something. Apart from him, the film packs a number of familiar faces such as Jessica Henwick who starred in Marvel/Netflix's Iron Fist and Underwater which was released earlier this year, Michael Rooker who played Yondu Odanta in the Guardians of The Galaxy and Ariana Greenblatt who recently starred in a D+'s original movie, The One and Only Ivan. 

I wasn't expecting to have enjoyed the movie this much but it is honestly now, one of my favorite movies. The campiness awfully reminded me of Zombieland and the tone definitely reminded me of the Maze Runner movies. The highlight may have been Dylan but I just love the Dog. Boy will forever be one of my favorite dog actors. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Overlooked, Fun Marvel Adventure (The Marvels spoiler-free review)

Loki season 2 (Full season review)

Confessions of A Bored Vampire (Abigail review)